Sausage & Pepper-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Pasta is so unnecessary and such an nutrient-poor meal…thanks to the love of spaghetti squash, we can alter recipes to make them healthier without sacrificing the taste and type of meal we all want! To make our dinner from last night vegetarian/vegan, replace the chicken sausage with chopped eggplant or just remove it completely and add more bell pepper and onion to fortify the meal. This is a sure-fire way to warm up your dinner this week and throughout fall!
- 1 large spaghetti squash - cut in half, seeds spooned out, drizzled with unrefined olive oil, roasted at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until soft
- 1 cup andouille chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 cup organic red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup organic marinara (or make your own!)
- Optional: dash of raw, organic parmesan cheese to top
- Simply roast the squash until "noodles" are soft and easily forked out.
- In a medium pan with a dab of virgin coconut or unrefined extra virgin olive oil, toss in the onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender over medium heat- roughly 6 minutes.
- Add in the chicken sausage and cook until well-warmed.
- Remove the squash from the oven when done and fork up the noodles, keeping them in the squash. Then, top each half with half of the sausage and veg mixture and half of the marinara- sprinkle with optional parm. Place back in the oven until warm and parmesan is melted.