APL Butternut Squash Alfredo Sauce
Oh winter squashes, how we love thee…there are just so many ways to use them. For example, our new spicy butternut squash-based Alfredo sauce made with squash, coconut milk, and just a bit of garlic, onion, thyme, & red pepper flakes. Easy to make + easy to store = fantastic sauce for any menu! Today we prepped it as a winter comfort food dish with peas, spaghetti squash noodles, and spicy chicken sausage.
- 1 small butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeds scooped out with a spoon
- 1 TB + 1/2 TB virgin coconut oil, room temperature, divided
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 TB thyme
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup organic coconut milk (make sure it has no additives in it)
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the squash halves, orange side up, and brush them with 1 TB coconut oil. Roast for 30-45 minutes- until a fork goes in and it's tender.
- meanwhile, toss the onion in a skillet over medium heat with the remaining coconut oil and cook until lightly browned, set aside to cool.
- chop the garlic and place the garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and onion in the blender. Once done roasting, peel the skin from the butternut squash and chop it, then place it in the blender. Blend all until smooth. Add in the coconut milk and blend again until well-mixed. Season with a bit of sea salt & pepper and serve over some fun noodle variation and anything else you like!
- In our picture, we added steamed peas & spicy chicken sausage over spaghetti squash noodles.