Who doesn’t love a little panzanella salad? But, transitioning this typically summer recipe into a winter (gee thanks cold weather already arriving) recipe can be difficult. So why not make a yummy caponata into a warm panzanella salad by adding grilled bread, green olives, microgreens, and some apple cider vinegar to a classic caponata recipe? This will bring warm weather memories to mind, but with a winter flare. We hope you enjoy it!
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into chunks
- 2 portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 TB cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, rough chopped
- 4 slices day-old gluten-free bread, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 TB capers
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Celtic salt and pepper
- dash of apple cider vinegar
- handful of microgreens
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add in the olive oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Toss in the garlic-saute for 30 seconds, then toss in the onion, eggplant, and mushrooms. Cook until soft- roughly 8 minutes. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In another griddle pan over medium heat, toss the bread slices in and drizzle a bit of olive oil on top off them. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add in the capers, olives, tomatoes, vinegar, & microgreens. Put salt and pepper in, to taste. When ready to serve, stir in bread slices.