Recipe Rehab: Pancit Palabok (Pork Rice Bowl)
Recipe Rehab: Pancit Palabok
Yield: 4 Servings
Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- 8 oz. Rice Noodles, we used our favorite Annie Chun's Brown Rice Noodles with Seaweed
- 2 TB Annatto, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 3/4 LB Raw, Wild-Caught Shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 LB Organic Pork Tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 TB Fish Sauce
- 3 Cups Organic, Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Tinapa, smoked fish flakes (sometimes hard to find)
- 2 Eggs, hard-boiled and sliced down the middle
- 4 Green Onions, sliced
- 2 Limes, quartered
- Bragg's Aminos, to taste
- Soak 2 tablespoons achuete in 1/4 cup water. Stir seeds vigorously with a spoon for about two minutes and let the orange color bleed into the water for about 30 minutes. Strain and toss seeds and set aside achuete water.
- Cook noodles according to package.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat-saute garlic until lightly browned. Stir in flour and coo- be sure to stir constantly- about 5 minutes. Gradually add chicken stock-keep stirring. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add fish sauce. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened-roughly 15 to 20 minutes.
- In separate skillets with pure avocado oil, cook the shrimp and pork thoroughly, set aside.
- Place 1/4 of the rice noodles in a bowl, top with a ladle of chicken stock sauce, top with 4-5 shrimp, 4-5 pieces of pork tenderloin, a sprinkle of green onions, a pinch of tinapa, half of a hard-boiled egg, a lime wedge, and a dash of Bragg's.