Healthier Memorial Day BBQ Recipes- WCIU You & Me This Morning
If you caught our segment on WCIU “You & Me This Morning,” then you may be looking for some of these natural and easy Memorial Day BBQ recipes that will serve up flavor, but nutritious options for you and your guests! If not, stay tuned for the clip of the segment to view our dishes!
TAKEYA ICED TEA LAVENDER LEMONADE: The chef needs something to sip on to stay cool and refreshed as the weather gets warmer, so we featured an all-natural adult Lavender Lemonade from the yummy @TakeyaUSA featuring their Tropical Black Iced Tea and using their easy-to-use iced tea beverage service to infuse the ingredients overnight before our segment this morning! If you are looking for some new and tasty recipes for iced tea drinks, be sure to check out their new recipe book called Iced Tea Reinvented, which contains 50 handcrafted iced tea recipes!
- 1 TAKEYA Tropical Black Tea Packet
- 24 oz Water
- 6 oz Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice- approximately 3 lemons
- 2 Packets PureVia (non-GMO, all natural no-calorie sweetener from the Stevia leaf)
- 2 TB Dried Lavender Blossoms
- 6 Lemon Slices
- 6 Lime Slices
- 10 oz Tequila (we use a premium white tequila for a smoother taste!)
- Optional: Lemon/lime slice and extra dried lavender blossoms for garnish
1. PREP Twist the Citrus Juicer into the top of the pitcher and juice the lemons. Twist off the Citrus Juicer and pour lemon juice into medium pot on the stove. Add dried lavender blossoms to the Tea Infuser. Tear open one TAKEYA Tropical Black Tea Packet, pour tea into Tea Infuser and twist into lid.
2. BREW In medium pot, add water to fresh squeezed lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cool for 1 minute, and fill the pitcher halfway. Lower the lid with attached Tea Infuser into the hot water, allowing steam to vent, and brew for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and detach the Tea Infuser. Stir in sugar until dissolved.
3. FLASH CHILL Top off with ice, seal lid and shake for 30 seconds to flash chill. Remove 3 cups of the iced tea to make room for the fruit infusion and tequila.
4. ADD TEQUILA & FRUIT FLAVOR Top off iced tea with Tequila. Twist the Fruit Infuser into the Infuser Extender and lemon and lime wheels. Twist the Fruit Infuser into the lid, lower it into the iced tea and seal airtight. Infuse in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
5. GARNISH When ready to serve, pour over ice and garnish with a lemon wheel, lime wheel and dried lavender blossoms.
PopChips VEGGIE CHIPS & SPICY GUAC: guacamole is always a fantastic go-to dip because avocado is such a healthy fat and the rest of the ingredients are simple and healthy! APL does have a few twists to the simple guacamole (try adding apple chunks soaked in lime juice, chopped jicama for more bulk, or grapefruit chunks for some citrus love!) We are obsessed with the new @popchips veggies chips as the dipper because they are made of 9 veggies, never fried nor baked, and their new bags have 15% more to love that will for sure feed your party!
- 3 Haas Avocados, keep the pits to put in the bowl to keep it fresh and stave off browning
- 1 Lime, freshly juiced
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped (we use our Oxo chopper to make it faster!)
- 2 TB Cilantro, coarsely chopped (we love cilantro because it is a natural detox herb, so we tend to add more:))
- 1 Small Jalapeño or 1/2 of a bigger one, chopped (only remove seeds if you want a milder flavor. We keep them for some spice!!!)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Himalayan Crystal Salt (or pure sea salt), to taste
Just mix it all together and voila!
APPLEGATE FARMS ALL-NATURAL HOT DOGS: Memorial Day is the time where we break out the grill, so what better way to celebrate the start of grilling season than to make some hot dogs! It’s obvious Chicagoans love their dogs- we consumed 17.5 million in 2013 alone! Instead of choosing the overly-processed dogs, APL is having a #weinervention and suggests you buy the #cleanerweiner from Applegate so you can grill guilt-free hot dogs that simply have meat, salt, herbs, & spices in them…free of any artificial ingredients, preservatives, or nitrates/nitrites. We also partner the dogs with some grilled wild salmon with an organic BBQ sauce. It is so simple- you just marinate some wild Sockeye salmon in an organic BBQ sauce (watch the sugar in the servings-stay under 5g) for an hour or overnight in the refrigerator. Toss it on the grill (skin down & we spray it with coconut cooking oil spray) over medium heat and cook until opaque-roughly 4-6 minutes for 1/2-inch thick piece. To avoid it breaking, do not flip it.
GRILLED CORN 3-WAYS: grilling veggies is just so simple and such a great way to use the grill and get in some nutrition! We did corn, but you can do zucchini, bell peppers, onion, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, corn, and more! Our crowd-pleaser pick was corn and we did a Jalapeno-Cilantro butter sauce, used the Samba Flavor artesian Chimi Butter, and then our fave topping: @LeeKumKee Sriracha sauce made from sun-ripened red chiles and without any artificial flavors and preservatives…did you know that adding spice actually speeds up the metabolism!?!
DIJON SWEET POTATO SALAD: ditch the white potatoes for a more nutrient-dense dish that brings in some simple flavors like shallots, dijon mustard, olive oil, and tarragon (our FAVE herb.) Instructions:
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes, cut into coins
- 2 TB Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 TB Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 TB Shallots, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Tarragon, fresh and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degreesIn a medium bowl, mix the potato coins with the oil, thyme, and garlic
- Line a baking sheet with the coins and bake for 30-35 minutes
- Toss the potatoes in a bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients and enjoy!
FRUIT, WHOLE GRAIN CLUSTER, & CREAM TRIFLES: What’s more American than a trifle? We love our healthier layered take on this treat and could come up with ENDLESS flavor combinations! This time around, we used the new flavors from @KINDSnacks 100% whole grain clusters, Raspberry Chia and Banana Nut to create our recipes, because one serving satisfies one of your daily whole grain serving needs! You can simply buy an all-natural frozen whipped topping (like TruWhip) and layer it with your fruit-of-choice, then granola, then repeat…we chose to make our own coconut whipped topping and layered the first one with lemon-infused blueberries and then the raspberry chia clusters and our other trifle was made with cinnamon-covered banana slices and the banana nut clusters!
We hope you all have a safe, nutritious, and fun Memorial Day!