Happy National Blueberry Month: Celebrate Healthy with these Recipes!
It’s National Blueberry Month and these little goobers are SO good for us! First thing to know is to always buy organic, as berries can be “dirty” no matter how much you wash them. Lastly, relish in the fact that there are SO many different ways to use them in a recipe! Blueberries have the power to improve vision and bone development, banish belly fat, fend off cancer, add fiber to the diet, flavanoids may improve memory, & help lower blood sugar.
BLUEBERRY RECIPE #1: Oatmeal-Muffin
- 1 1/2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Hemp Milk or Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar or Sugar Equivalent
- 2 TB Raw Honey
- 1/2 Cup Organic Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 TB Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 1 Cup Fresh Organic Blueberries
- Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins.
In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, agave, apple sauce, vanilla, egg whites, and oil – mix well.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Mix the oats and milk into the medium bowl contents, slowly add in the dry ingredients, and fold in the blueberries.
Spoon in to the muffin tins and bake for 22-24 minutes.
BLUEBERRY RECIPE #2: berry-rific salsa
- 1 Cup Organic Blueberries
- 6 Organic Strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 Red Onion, minced
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 tsp Organic Lime Zest
- 1/3 Cup Organic Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Haas Avocado, diced
- Himalayan Crystal Salt & Pepper, to taste
In a food processor, mix together the berries, onion, lime juice, and cilantro- pulse 4-5 times to keep it chunkier.
Add in the lime zest and avocado, then sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
BLUEBERRY RECIPE #3: Quinoa-Blueberry Salad
Ingredients: makes 1 serving
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 TB Goat Cheese
- 3 TB Avocado, diced
- 1/2 TB Fresh Mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Organic Arugula
- 2 TB Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TB Fresh Lime Juice
- Himalayan Crystal Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Cook the quinoa according to the package and toss the berries, avocado, arugula, and mint-lightly fluff with a fork.
In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and lime juice together and drizzle on top, then top with the salt and pepper to taste.
BLUEBERRY RECIPE #4: Blueberry Chicken Salad
Ingredients: makes 3 servings (2 leaves full per serving)
- 2 Organic Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 Cup Organic Blueberries
- 2 TB Sir Kensington Mayo
- 3 TB Plain Organic Greek Yogurt (do your research and make sure the brand doesn’t use hormones, we choose Wallaby or Stoneyfield)
- 1/4 Cup Jicama, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Himlayan Crystal Salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 Large Organic Romaine Leaves
Cook the chicken breasts over medium heat in a pan sprayed with coconut oil cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix together the blueberries, mayo, yogurt, and jicama.
Toss in the chicken, salt, and pepper- mix well.
Place 1/4 cup of the mix into a romaine leaf.
BLUEBERRY RECIPE #5: Blueberry-Mint Popsicles
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh Organic Blueberries
- 1 Handful Fresh Mint
- ¼ Cup Raw Honey
- 1 Lemon, juiced
Toss it all into a food processor or blender and puree. Add the mixture to popsicle molds or ice cube trays and freeze for at least eight hours. Another use: you can use the ice cubes to flavor your water!