Spiced Pickled Lemons
- 1 medium organic lemon, cut into very thin rounds
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/8 red chile, chopped (we buy Thai)
- 1 TB raw sugar
- ½ tsp Maldon sea salt
- 1/3 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/16 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Place the sliced lemons in a medium bowl.
- With a mortar and pestle, mash the chile and garlic together with a smidgen of the lemon juice until you get a paste.
- Mix that with the lemons and add the remaining ingredients-mix all together with your hands. NOTE: really get in there and massage the ingredients into the lemons so that they get covered.
- Place this mixture in a 32 oz. mason jar and top with a bit of cheesecloth and a rubber band-it needs to breathe a little bit, but must be covered. Let it sit on the counter overnight.
- The next day, move these lemons to the fridge with the mason jar’s actual lid.
- We serve these atop grilled chicken, in salads, on sandwiches, and more!