WCIU Segment 7/31/14: Creative Grilled Salad Recipes
With a focus on grilling in summertime, it is hard to make things unique AND healthy. APL is sharing their favorite grilled summer salads and sweets that are perfectly paired with lean proteins for a simple & filling summer meal for your next BBQ or picnic.
Grilled Potato & Peach Salad with Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing – gluten-free/wheat-free/soy-free/nut-free/egg-free/vegetarian/to make vegan, replace Greek yogurt with plain rice yogurt or vegan sour cream)
- 2 cups red potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups organic peaches, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled organic blue cheese
- 6 oz organic whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 TB veganaise
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- optional: top with grilled flank steak slices
- Brush the potato slices with a small amount of olive oil- grill the potato slices over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side or until browned.
- Mix the blue cheese dressing (ingredients from yogurt through sea salt and pepper)
- Place the potatoes in a bowl with the peach slices, arugula, and top with ½ cup of the blue cheese dressing and serve!
Grilled Vegetable Succotash with Parmesan Drizzle – gluten-free/wheat-free/soy-free/nut-free/egg-free/vegetarian/to make vegan, replace parmesan with 3 TB balsamic vinegar and 1-2 TB dijon mustard to make a dressing)
- 2 small organic eggplant, quartered
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into thick strips
- 2 ears corn
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 zucchini, quartered
- 1 yellow squash, quartered
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, for brushing the veggies
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 TB fresh thyme
- Optional: top with simply grilled chicken or salmon
- Brush all of the veggies with oil and heat the grill to medium heat. Start with the onions, sweet potato, eggplant, and corn- grill 2-3 minutes per side. Add in the zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and tomatoes and grill a few minutes per side. Remove them all once browned and tender.
- Once cooled, chop all of the veggies into cubes and remove the corn from the ears. Toss with olive oil, garlic, thyme, sea salt, & parmesan.
Grilled Eggplant with Cherries, Mint, & Lemon-Tahini Dressing – gluten-free/nut-free/soy-free/wheat-free/egg-free/vegetarian (replace Greek yogurt with rice yogurt to make vegan and dairy-free)
- 4 organic baby eggplants
- 1 cup organic cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 TB mint, chopped
- 8 TB APL lemon-tahini dressing
- optional: 1 cup prepared quinoa
- Cut the tops off of the eggplants and half them, brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- On the grill (outside) over medium heat or on a griddle indoors, cook the eggplant until soft and seared-roughly 2-3 minutes per side.
- In another pan, grill the cherries over medium heat, set side.
- Meanwhile, make the APL lemon-tahini dressing and chop the mint.
- Plate the eggplant pieces- top each with ¼ cup cherries, 2 TB dressing, and 1 TB chopped mint.
Middle Eastern Fatoosh Salad – gluten-free/nut-free/soy-free/wheat-free/egg-free/vegetarian (replace Greek yogurt with rice yogurt to make vegan and dairy-free)
- 1 cup organic cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup organic tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup organic radishes, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup organic whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 TB fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Chop all of the cooked veggies and lightly toss in a bowl with the yogurt, lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Serve with grilled pita wedges and/or 1 LB of wild-raw grilled shrimp on top.
Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (made with coconut milk) – gluten-free/wheat-free/soy-free/peanut-free/vegetarian
- 1 can refrigerated full-fat organic coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks from pasture-raised eggs
- seeds from 2 fresh vanilla beans or 4 TB pure vanilla extract
- Optional: top with whole grain granola clusters, a chopped up KIND snacks bar, or grilled pineapple or plantain slices.
- Boil some water in a pot and reduce to a simmer, top with a heat-proof bowl like a double boiler. Pour the coconut milk and vanilla beans into the bowl-heat until hot without boiling.
- Whisk the yolks in a separate bowl-add a ladleful of the now hot coconut milk to the eggs at the same time, whisking vigorously. Add two or three more ladlefuls of the coconut milk mixture, continuing to whisk.
- Take the egg mixture and whisk in the bowl atop the water.
- Whisk non-stop for a couple of minutes- should form a thick “custard.” Make sure it doesn’t get too hot. Once it is ready, remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Put in your ice cream maker and follow the instructions.