Fox News Good Day Chicago: Healthier Take on Sugar-Filled Cereals
In case you missed our segment this morning on Fox News Chicago, here is the link!
Most cereals are jam-packed with sugar (the standard cereal is upwards of 15g/serving, some even 60g +!) but we should be keeping our daily intake of added sugar close to 25 grams per day ONLY. Not only is that alarming, but we are also missing necessary nutrients to give you a much-needed boost in the mornings.
APL, not one to force people to sacrifice their favorite foods, devised a plan in the form of healthier recipes for the popular unhealthy breakfast cereals. We used nutrient-dense ingredients, but with similar flavor profiles to the glutinous counterparts and have given you some simple recipes to try below.
CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH CEREAL
What You Need:
- 1 1/4 Cups gluten-free oat flour or pastry flour
- 1 1/4 Cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup + 1 TB coconut oil (or you can sub room temp. butter), divided
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/8 cup organic sugar
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- 2 TB raw honey, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together both flours, baking soda and 2 tsp cinnamon in a large bowl. Add in 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup sugar, vanilla and honey. Then, add in the coconut milk and mix until a cohesive dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly flour a cutting board or hard surface and place the dough on it- kneed it together. Divide it in half and put it in each baking sheet- spreading it out in a layer roughly 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/8 cup sugar and 3/4 tsp cinnamon. Melt 1 TB of coconut oil and using a brush, brush it across the dough sheets and then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mix atop.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp (non-serrated) knife, slice the dough into squares that are roughly ½-inch around.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown- remove and let cool. Place the cereal in an air-tight container and enjoy with Hemp milk for a tasty, less guilt-ridden breakfast!
DIY LUCKY CHARMS CEREAL
This is SO easy…You don’t have to dye your marshmellows or make them into creative shapes
What You Need:
- 1 cup One Degree Organics Ancient Grain O’s
- 1/8 cup Dandie’s Vegan Marshmellows – left out for a day or two unwrapped to harden
- ½ cup TEMPT Hemp milk, unsweetened (mixed with 1 TB maca powder + a dash of cinnamon or coconut nectar for sweetness)
- All-natural food coloring…if-needed to make your own colored marshmellows
You can just serve the O’s with the hemp milk mixture and the marshmellows…unless you want to make some fun shapes/colors follow the simple directions below (a bit less healthy I might add!)
- Heat the entire bag of marshmellows (best to buy the bag of big ones for this task) in a glass dish filled with a ¼-inch of filtered water- the microwave for roughly a minute- once you see them rising, pause to stir them, then heat for another minute.
- Divide the marshmellow mix up into 2 different mixing bowls- mix in ½ cup potato starch and 1 ½ cups organic powdered sugar… Add in just a few drops of desired natural food coloring to each bowl – mix each and then, using mini cookie cutters, mold your shapes.
- On a cutting board lined with parchment paper, roll out each ball of marshmellow “dough.”
- Place the shapes on lined baking sheets and let them sit out for a few days to harden. You can also use a dehydrator accordingly!
COCOA PUFFS CHOCOLATE CEREAL
What You Need:
- 1 cup of gluten-free flour blend (we like to mix equal parts oat flour + sorghum flour)
- 1/2 cup Navitas Naturals raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, grey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 flax “egg” (1 TB flax meal mixed with 2-3 TB warm filtered water)
- 1 TB coconut oil, room temp
- 3-4 TB coconut nectar
- Navitas Naturals raw cacao nibs, to top
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. While it heats up, mix together your “egg” in a small bowl and set it aside to thicken for a few minutes.
- In a blender, mix together the flour, cacao powder, vanilla, “egg,” coconut oil, and sea salt- mix well.
- Pulsing the blender and slowly pouring in your coconut nectar, it should start to look like a crumbly dough.
- Time to get your hands dirty, by pulling out the dough and forming small balls, placing them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes- let cool – and serve with hemp milk when ready to eat (which we drop a little vanilla extract in when we want to get crazy!)
FRUITY PEBBLES CEREAL
What You Need:
- 1 cup Gluten-free brown rice “puffs” cereal
- ¼ cup mixed dried super foods: Navitas Naturals goji berries, banana, + any combo you like!
- 1 TB unsweetened coconut flakes, to top
- 1 TB TEMPT hemp hearts, to top
- APL Power Green Milk: ½ cup hemp milk (unflavored,) mixed with 1 serving Spirulina powder and a touch of pure vanilla extract
- Mix the Power Green Milk ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Pour the cereal + dried fruit choices into your morning cereal bowl, top with the green milk, and then sprinkle the hemp hearts + coconut flakes on top.
We hope you enjoy!