Black Bean Taco Salad with Chipotle Drizzle
I saw a post from my girlfriend on Facebook saying she was at Uncle Julio’s…ah, the Hacienda where I will literally toss back an entire bowl of their homemade tortilla chips (they are like salty air) and then ravage a fajita plate with whomever is dining with me (don’t love tortillas, so I just go at it with some guac on it- at least I am sharing the meal, right!?! After the chips, I have too!)
Alas, that’s why something south of the border-inspired made it onto our menu plan for the week. Toss the tortilla as the “shell” and replace it with 3 butter lettuce leaves or a bigger green cabbage leaf. The rest is fairly simple, raw, vegan, & OH-SO-TASTY!
To make the beans:
- 1/2 cup black beans, mashed
- 1 TB red onion, chopped
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
To finish off the salad:
- 4 slices jalapeno, we keep the seeds in it to up the spiciness!
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- 5 black olives, sliced
- 2 scallions, white parts sliced only
- 1/8 cup chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices avocado, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh bicolor corn
- 1/2 lime, juiced over the salad
For the chipotle drizzle:
- 2 TB vegan sour cream, room temperature
- chipotle chili powder, to taste
- a tiny bit of filtered water, to thin it out
- Mash the bean ingredients together and place them in the bottom of the lettuce you have chosen (either 3 butter lettuce leaves or a big green cabbage leaf.)
- Top with the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the drizzle ingredients- drizzle over the salad.
- Enjoy your bowl of healthiness!