APL Big, Bad Ass Bowl: Forbidden Black Rice Ramen
The other night I took to the APL kitchen (so much messier than I would like it to be now, thanks too all of my testing + recipe creating,) but girl is on a MISSION to bring you new APL Big, Bad Ass Bowls, Rawgasmic Recipes, Paleo in the P.M. dishes, and SO much more!
When I was walking through the grocery store aisles, I found black rice (aka: forbidden rice- sounds super scandalous, no?!?) ramen. I love gluten-free foods like this that are also nutrient-dense. When I have a carb craving, this ensures I am being a total health ninja about it! This bowl was made in the midst of me having one of my “moments.” These moments can only be described as a hyperactive refrigerator search, cutting board craziness + overall just a general sense of hungry fervor leading me to the promise land of yet another bowl full of yummy health. So, I challenge you to make this and enjoy it as much as I did!
This Meal’s Fantastic Health Shout-Outs:
- We’re bananas for black rice, here’s why- it’s super high in antioxidants, has more protein than all other rice varieties, as well as double the fiber compared to brown and red rice.
- 95% raw meal- rawgasms are what happen inside your body when you eat lots of raw foods. Mostly because you are eating them in their true form, which is most nutritious.
- Veg-packed– obviously healthy, duh.
- Sea veggie in the form of my fave, dulse. Can you believe that 3 1/2 oz of this stuff gives you 33 mg of iron and 1,720 mg of potassium??? Wowza’, that is 100% of your daily need for both!
- Avocado, which has more potassium than a banana (yep, amazing, right?) and loads of fiber and heart-healthy fat – the “good” kind!
- Alfalfa sprouts– did you know these bitches are spicy!?! Ah, you know APL loves a little spice in a meal, so top your fave dishes with a handful of these healthy things…aside from being high in Vitamin K, they are touted as one of the most significant dietary sources of phytoestrogens, which are beneficial compounds in plant foods that can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis. No heart attacks, crazy cancer, or broken/brittle bones? I’ll take that!
- 1 serving prepared forbidden black rice ramen, Lotus Foods
- 1 nori sheet
- 1/8 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/8 cup carrots, shaved or julienned
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 3 TB dulse, chopped
- 6 avocado slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup Alfalfa sprouts, well-washed
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- For the orange-tahini sauce:
- 1 TB raw sesame seeds
- 1 small orange, peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 C tahini
- 2 TB Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Prepare the ramen, set aside.
- Line a bowl with a nori sheet, top with the ramen, then all of the chopped veggies, etc.
- Blend the sauce ingredients in a blender + top the bowl with 2 1/2 TB of it- sprinkle with cayenne- enjoy!