Savory Chickpea Pancakes with Roasted Veggies + Garlic-Tahini Syrup
Sunday brunch is taken seriously in the APL Kitchen and last weekend I made some simple chickpea pancakes, but I topped them with a base of fresh edamame hummus I made for the week and then some curry-spiced multi-colored carrots, roasted white asparagus, + some simply grilled romaine…all drizzled with a garlic-tahini syrup.
What you need to make these bad boys:
for the pancakes:
- 1 1/3 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/3 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, unfiltered/raw
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
for the toppings:
- 6 carrots, we used purple, orange, and yellow ones – cut in 1/2 horizontally and then halved vertically
- 4 Thai chiles, dried and crushed
- 2 TB curry powder
- dash of Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 bunch white asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 1 small head Romaine, ends chopped off
- 3 TB Fresh Edamame Hummus (or regular/sprouted hummus, per 2 pancakes)
- 1 TB Garlic-Tahini Savory Syrup (per 2 pancakes)
- optional: tarragon, basil, or any herbs you like chopped on top
How to make em’:
the easiest + fastest way to tackle these little suckers is to start with the roasting. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grab a healthy baking sheet. Toss in the chopped carrots and brush on some raw coconut oil (lightly.)
Make the spice mix for the carrots: mash the dried Thai chiles in a small bowl, add in the Himalayan crystal salt and curry powder- stir around a bit. Drizzle this on the carrots as evenly as possible. Roast for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep the hummus and the garlic-tahini syrup. Both quick prep.
Brush the asparagus with raw coconut oil + place them on parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes.
While roasting the asparagus, blend all of the pancake ingredients well in a medium-sized bowl. Then, put some raw coconut oil in a pan and heat it for 30 seconds. Scoop out 2 separate 1/4 cup pancake mix onto the pan – grill 3 minutes on each side or until golden browned and cooked through. You will be doing this 2 times for 4 pancakes.
When finished with the last round of pancakes, toss the Romaine in a pan for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown.
To assemble: place 1 1/2 TB of edamame hummus onto 2 pancakes. Top each with 3-4 carrots, 2 asparagus spears, + 2 slices of romaine, then drizzle each with 1/2 TB with garlic-tahini syrup.
This brunch needs to be repeated! YUM-TASTIC!
The veggies along are perfect for lunch or dinnertime- so make extras!