Chocolate “Peanut Butter” Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches
APL likes to celebrate ANYTIME, even the unhealthy holidays, we just indulge in these days with a guilt-free twist! Since it is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day on Sunday, we thought we would come up with a mini version of the American favorite. It’s time for some vegan, gluten- + nut-free Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Sandwiches!!!
For the Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, make sure it is organic + without carrageenan- keep it in the fridge overnight
- 1 cup hemp milk, unsweetened
- 2 TB vanilla extract, we prefer pure Madagascar (?)
- 3 TB coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Remove the fat (the solid white) parts of the coconut milk and place it in a bowl. Toss in the remaining ingredients + whisk it all together until sugar is dissolved
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 3-4 hours, stopping to stir it everyone once in a while
- When serving, remove it from the freezer 6-7 minutes beforehand.
For the Chocolate-“Peanut Butter” Crunch Cookies:
makes 6-8 cookies depending on size
- 1/8 cup oat flour
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 1/16 cup sunflower seed butter, raw + unsalted preferably
- 1/16 cup hemp milk
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TB raw cacao powder
- 2 TB raw cacaco nibs
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 TB maca powder
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Sift the flours together in a medium bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well – let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the bowl into the fridge to harden and cool for 1-2 hours.
- Place 2 TB of dough for each cooking onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
To Assemble Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Place 1 cookie on a plate, top with 3 TB of the vanilla ice cream, then top with another cookie + enjoy!
(I already ate mine after I crushed a treadmill workout- not THAT’S a post-workout snack! It did have maca powder in it…good thing I only made one!)