Dragonfruit: What, How, + Why to EAT IT NOW!
What is dragonfruit:
Dragonfruit, a fruit native to Central America, comes from the Pitaya plant (so sometimes it is referred to as Pitaya.) It is most often a brilliant bright pink color on the outside and a white center with black seeds strewn throughout. It has a sweet, but mild flavor and texture often compared to that of a pear.
Why We Love Dragonfruit:
Not only is it GORGEOUS, but this exotic fruit has a plethora of health benefits!
- The seeds- they contain heart healthy monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids
- The fruit is high in antioxidants, which are known to help prevent oxidative stress that can lead to diseases like cancer
- Magnesium is delivered in this beautiful fruit. Magnesium is responsible for over 300 enzymatic reactions and is found mostly in our bones, muscles, and brain. Magnesium is important for our cells to make energy, to help muscles relax, and to stabilize cell membranes.
- It has fiber that helps keep your digestion going strong, fills you up, and
- Pitaya induces beauty through its enzymatic profile – you will see it in your glowing skin!
- Woot, it has calcium for healthy bones!
- It has high levels of vitamins A (incredible skin, good vision, optimal immune function, and reproductive health) C (antioxidant with incredible immune-support,) and the B vitamins (delivering much-needed energy to us, metabolize fat and protein, and promote healthy skin, hair, eyes and liver.)
How to Use Dragonfruit:
- APL loves to cut it up and put it in simple salads or mix it with a light chicken salad.
- Incorporate it into a smoothie instead of an apple or pear.
- Better yet, make this smoothie bowl
- As a desert, APL uses it in a simple Pitaya pie!
- Another sweet treat option is our APL Pitaya Parfait.
- Even dried dragonfruit can be added to homemade trail mix or atop oatmeal.
Try some today + enjoy!