WCIU: No More Processed Sugar
This morning we were so excited to head into the WCIU studio in the West Loop to not only see our faves Melissa Forman and Jeanne Sparrow, but to let you all know a bit about quitting the processed sugar and opting for more natural sources like: unsweetened applesauce, no-sugar added dried fruit, raw honey, coconut nectar, maple syrup, agave syrup, and more.
Not only did we show off some of our favorite natural sweeteners, but we brought in 3 of our most popular APL recipes o-boot!
Chocolate-Cherry Chia Seed Pudding
Makes 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups hemp milk, unsweetened
- 5-8 Made in Nature (no sugar added) dates, no pits
- 1/3-cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt, grey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup frozen organic cherries
- Simply blend all of the ingredients together in a high-speed blender, place them in an air-tight glass storage container and refrigerate overnight (or for 3+ hours.)
- When ready to serve, scoop it into a bowl + top with any more super foods you like. Some examples include: unsweetened shredded coconut, raw pumpkin seeds, halved organic cherries, etc.
Protein-Packed Chocolate Mousse
makes 2 servings
- 1 very large avocado
- 2 TB raw cacao powder
- 1 heaped tsp maca powder
- 1 scoop spirulina
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar or pure maple syrup, + more to taste
- 1/2 cup hemp milk, unflavored + unsweetened
- raw cacao nibs, to top
- mixed berries, to top
- Peel, remove the pit, + mash the avocado in a small bowl, then place it in a blender with the remainder of the ingredients. Start off blending it on a low speed and then gradually increase over a 30-second span. Stop the blender, taste, and add any sweetener if necessary.
- Serve in a small bowl topped with ¼ cup mixed berries and raw cacao nibs.
Pitaya Smoothie Bowl
makes 2 servings
- 1 packet of Pitaya fruit
- 1 banana
- ½ cup hemp milk, unflavored
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- Optional toppings of choice, APL loves shredded (unsweetened) coconut + blueberries!
- Blend it all together in a blender + enjoy!
- We top ours with unsweetened shredded coconut, raw cacao nibs, + bananas slices or fresh blueberries.