Windy City Live: Foods that Feed Inner + Outer Beauty
We all need a little boost when it comes to our beauty regimen, but what most people forget is that what we do to make ourselves beautiful on the outside, comes from within. When we incorporate the foods below into our diet, we are creating a better digestive environment so that our toxic build-up from inside does not show up on the outside in the form of acne, blemishes, uneven skin, dullness in our eyes and hair, dry or damaged skin and nails…so many things are affected by our insides when they are not operating efficiently. Along with improved digestion, increasing “beauty preserving” foods that boost our natural beauty.
Try these foods daily to boost your beauty profile with APL:
Fermented Foods: Farmhouse culture kimchi + krauts.
Begin with 1/2 cup a day before lunch or dinner + then build up your daily intake to 1 cup a day. Also, add in a high-quality probiotic (taken in the A.M.) + digestive enzymes (taken before meals) to your regimen to see the best results.
- healthy gut = healthy digestion = clear skin + better absorption of other beauty-boosting nutrients. We love adding in quick grab-and-go, low-sodium Kimchis + Krauts
You want to have one serving of a sulfur-containing food in your diet per day, which is easy for APL because we put aloe vera juice in our morning drink every single day! So the added bonus is having some radish slices, bee pollen in your salad dressing, + a salad made with watercress. (Best to buy living watercress fro the most nutrients.)
- Like aloe vera, bee pollen, radishes, + watercress – helps hair by building strength and shine, promotes radiant skin, + strengthens nails
Who wants injectables when you can boost collagen by eating!?! Woot! A serving of garlic (2 cloves) per day can help rebuild collagen (what?) Who ever would have thought this stinky alliums would plump your skin right up.
- Antioxidant-rich berries lend to fighting off any free radicals attacking the skin + boost collagen along the way
- Garlic, which offers lipoic acid and taurine, both of which help rebuild damaged collagen – slap some garlic in my next facial appointment please
- Anything red like bell peppers, beets, + tomatoes, contain lycopene that boosts collagen + protects against sun damage – so glad red is my color because putting all of these foods in my diet has already helped my skin look younger than my 34, going on 50 years. (I’m an entrepreneur, what can I say- 1 year = 5 years.)