Carrot-Ginger Muffins with Freshly Made Rhubarb Butter
Carrot-Ginger Muffins made with Rhubarb “Butter”
makes 8 muffins
What You Need
- 2 cups coconut flour
- ½ tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 TB flax meal mixed with 3 1/2 TB warm water-let sit for 5 minutes to thicken)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance, melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled+ minced
- 2/3 cup carrot, peeled + grated
For the Butter:
- 1 stalk rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup juice from an orange, 2 TB raw honey, 1 TB ginger, finely grated, 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter, room temp, dash of sea salt.
- Bring rhubarb, orange juice, honey, and ginger to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is soft but not falling apart, about 5 minutes. Drain over a small bowl. Reserve cooking liquid and rhubarb separately; let cool. Mix rhubarb and butter in a small bowl until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a larger-sized mixing bowl and wet ones in a medium bowl – then slowly stir together until well-mixed.
- Pour batter into a lined muffin tin + bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when prodded.
- Bring rhubarb, orange juice, honey, + ginger to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until rhubarb is soft, but not falling apart,- roughly 5 minutes.
- Drain mixture over a small bowl +let it cool.
- Mix rhubarb + room temperature/soft butter in a small bowl until well-mixed.