Fox Good Day Chicago: Re-Pack Your Picnic with APL
Picnics can pack a caloric punch when it comes to American go-to classics, so APL came up with some seriously tasty alternatives when it comes to making your next sandwich or putting together your side dishes. Cheers to making your next outdoor meal yummy, but healthy too!
Sandwich Bar for all Tastes
- Sprouted, whole grain bread is key to filling you up, but make it an open-faced sandwich using just one slice to save carbs + calories.
- Romaine lettuce wraps – you can use kale, chard, anything to wrap up your “unwich” with an added dose of veggies.
- Nori seaweed wraps – under 30 calories a sheet with tons of nutrients!
- Sunfood coconut wraps – no carb, 70 calories each!
- Assorted, health-conscious deli meats: I go with Applegate always because it is antibiotic-free, no growth hormones, no artificial ingredients, + humanely-raised.
- Roasted turkey
- Roasted chicken
- Roast beef
- Fun, tasty toppings without the guilt:
- Wholly Guacamole, which is literally guac made from hand-scooping out Haas avocados + without adding preservatives. Gluten-free and all natural is my jam! You can buy a larger container, but I am also in love with the individual 100-calorie packs for sandwiches as well as for my daughter to dip veggies in!
Lee Kum Kee Sriracha-spiced mayo is such a powerful flavor punch that you have to try it on your next sandwich! Lee Kum Kee uses high-quality ingredients for this gluten-free condiment that spices up just about anything you use it with!
- Kalamata olive spread is a healthy fat, high flavored topping
- Horseradish is an Ashley all-time favorite, especially my vegan creamy go-to. It’s amazing with roast beef.
- Dijon mustard is a low-calorie “duh.”
- Nut-free pesto made in my kitchen with pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts and no parm makes it a lighter, but still garlicky add-on to your next wrap.
Filling, Veggie-Filled Side Dishes
***BBQ Chickpea Salad***
replaces the calorie-heavy coleslaw or mayo-ridden tuna salad
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, sprouted is ideal
- 1/4 cup organic BBQ sauce (check the sugar content + stick with 5g or less per serving)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups mix of organic red + green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup organic carrot, shredded
- 1/8 cup jicama, chopped
- 2 TB green onion, sliced
- 1-2 TB APL honey mustard dressing
- Simply place mix the chickpeas and the BBQ sauce together, then serve atop the cabbage + veggie mix and drizzle it with the honey mustard!
- Optional:add even more crunch + healthy fat wiht 1 TB of hemp hearts.
***Grilled Potato Salad***
mayo-free, lower in fat all-American potato salad with greens + green beans to cut down on the carbs as well
What You Need:
- Bag of mixed potatoes (we chose red, fingerling, + purple potatoes,) quartered
- 2 cups French cut green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup + Follow Your Heart Veganaise
- 1/2 cup radishes, sliced
- 1/8 cup Greek olives, sliced
- 2 cups microgreens (to garnish after prepared or serve atop of)
How To Make:
- Grill the potatoes with cold-pressed olive oil in a griddle over medium heat until tender and browned- roughly 15-16 minutes. Toss the green beans in the skillet around 7-8 minutes.
- Toss the potatoes + green beans and mix it with the horseradish, chopped radishes, + olives.
- Serve 1 cup servings atop large handfuls of microgreens + sprinkle with 1 TB of your superfood add-on of choice (hemp hearts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, etc.)
***Black Rice Ramen Bowl***
Toss the white-flour based pasta salads and use black rice because it’s filled with antioxidants + lower in carbs than flours and other carb choices. Load it with veggies + a nutritious sauce and then you have a guilt-free dish!)
What You Need:
For the Ramen Bowl:
- 1 package Lotus Forbidden Rice Ramen, cooked
- 1 cup red & green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/8 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 2 TB Dulse, chopped
- 2 TB raw sesame seeds
- 2 TB scallions, sliced
- If they are around, add bean sprouts!
For “Peanut” Sauce: makes double, so only use half!
- 1/8 cup lime juice, fresh
- 3 TB sunflower seed butter, organic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TB Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 TB coconut nectar
- 3/4 TB Sriracha sauce, organic
- filtered water, to thin out
- Simply toss together the base ingredients after cooking the noodles + then mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve + add some super food on top with 1-2 TB Goji or Incan berries.