Fitness Move of The Week: Forward Lunges
The Front/Forward Lunge
There are several variations of the lunge, this is the most basic.
Start here and then progress to adding dumbbells in each hand for added resistance.
Quadriceps, gluteals, and hamstrings.
Note; A long lunge emphasizes the glutes whereas a short lunge emphasizes the quadriceps.
Proper Execution of Exercise:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart,
- Step forward, landing with the heel first,
- The front knee should be at a 90-degree angle and directly above the toes, no further,
- The motion is continued until the back knee is nearly touching the ground, but do not let it touch,
- Then return to your starting position by driving upward with the front leg and bringing it back next to your other foot.