Fitness Move of The Week: Plank
· Helps with core strength
· Learn to stabilize muscles
· Build muscle endurance
How to execute a forward plank properly (fig. 1):
· Begin on your knees and walk your hands out on the floor, allowing your legs to stretch out straight behind you, toes on the ground.
· Depending on the type of plank, extend your arms out parallel, balancing on your elbows, hands in a fist.
· Pull your belly button in to your lower back
· Create length in the spine
· Be sure to keep your shoulder blades and collarbone broad
· Relax the shoulders, keeping them away from the ears.
· Maintain a straight head position, in line with your spine so it is not dropping down or tilted up
· Remember to maintain breathing throughout the pose.
Additional forms of plank
Plank with arms on a stability ball:
Side Plank with Leg Lift:
Plank with feet on a stability ball and lifting: