RECIPE: Modern + Modified BLT
I remember back when I was a kid how much I LOVED the mayonnaise-laden, bacon-filled, white bread BLT. Although the original recipe is not ideal for a healthy or even filling meal, I can't turn away a sandwich with bacon as the focus! A few small changes + you get the classic flavor without the empty calories + too much fat.
The LIVING with Ashley Modified BLT Variations
What You Need:
- 1 slice of whole grain, gluten-free toasted bread
- topped with one of the following: 3 smashed avocado slices + dash of red pepper flakes, 1 TB creamy horseradish, 2 TB jalapeno hummus, 2 TB guacamole, 1/2 TB olive oil-based mayo mixed with 1 TB salsa
- 3 slices of Applegate low-sodium bacon, cooked
- 1 slice of Romaine lettuce, optional: pan-grilled
- 2 tomato slices; optional pan-grilled
- Simply spread your topping on the toasted bread, then top withe the Romaine, tomatoes, + cut up bacon slices. Enjoy!
Tips to make this dish healthier:
- use a whole grain bread like my favorite @udisglutenfree millet-chia bread + toast it. Use 1 slice vs 2 for an open-faced sandwich
- skip the mayo + use a healthier spreader like mashed avocado, horseradish, or mix mayo with a salsa or ketchup so you use less of it
- grill your lettuce + tomato slices - I simply grilled a Romaine slice with 2 slices of tomatoes + topped it off- it makes the sandwich feel heartier
- use a nitrate-/nitrite-, antibiotic-, + hormone-free bacon like @applegate because it's natural + they have a low-sodium version that's 25% lower in sodium than regular bacon