Gluten-Free, Paleo BBQ Meat Loaf
I am a total sucker for going back to my childhood memories + modifying recipes I loved as a kid, but would seriously hinder my waistline (and cholesterol) as an adult. My mom made a bad ass meat loaf with a tangy BBQ sauce when I was growing up that I wish I could replicate, but since going gluten-free + trying to always get 8-10 servings of veggies in my day...I modernized it to a gluten-free + paleo version using spinach + coconut flour to bulk it up + keep it held together. YUM!
What You Need:
- 2 LBS bison meat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- dash of sea salt
- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a skillet with olive oil, cook the onion + bell pepper over medium heat until lightly browned. Add in the spinach + cook until wilted. Place the veggies on a plate + pat out the water with a paper towel.
- Toss the cooked veggies + remaining ingredients together (sans BBQ sauce) in a large mixing bowl. Mix well + place in a 9X13 baking sheet. Top with the BBQ sauce.
- Bake, covered for 1 hour + 15 minutes.