WCIU The Jam: Banish Your Belly Bloat
BELLY BLASTING FOODS
Miss the segment? check it out in full here!
Combine these healthy ingredients for a quickly-made belly-blasting breakfast smoothie: 1 cup Lifeway plain kefir, 1 small banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, ½ cup gluten-free oats
- Lifeway Plain Organic (also available in low-fat) Kefir or Kefir “cup” is perfect for a source of fermented food with 12+ live and active cultures of probiotics; friendly bacteria that boost immunity, regulate gut function, + banish bloat.
- Banana- the potassium content of a banana fights off the effects of sodium in the body- eradicating bloat by balancing the body.
- Oats will not only load you with fiber to regulate digestion, but they have the prebiotics to the probiotic that fortify healthy bacteria already in your gut.
- Mixed Berries (frozen, organic) – are lower sugar than most fruits, packed with antioxidants, + have a whopping 9g of fiber per cup to push that bloat along!
LUNCH & DINNER:
Veggie-heavy, but light bloat-busting sandwich: whole grain grilled bread topped with guacamole, olive-oil drizzled; lightly sautéed leafy greens, + cauliflower mash (optional wild smoked salmon on top)
- Avocado – Wholly guacamole is preservative-free, tasty, literally scooped avocado out of Haas avocados...a perfect + healthy sandwich spread! This monounsaturated fat fills you up and is heart healthy rather than those sugary/salty/bad fat condiments!
- Leafy greens + cauliflower are loaded with minerals like potassium that can help offset the bloat-inducing effects of sodium. I mashed the cauliflower with hemp milk + garlic to make it like mashed potatoes! So filling!
- Olive Oil – using plant-based oils like extra virgin olive to make you feel “full” + fend off abdominal weight gain. Grill or toast the bread with a spritz of oil on it.
- 100% whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, + amaranth either in prepared grains or your go-to, fiber-filled breads like Canyon Bakehouse’s grain-filled loaves of gluten-free bread.
- Side of steamed asparagus: asparagus - asparagus is known as a diuretic + is filled with prebiotic benefits, strengthening your already available good gut bacteria.
To make an easily digestible tofu pumpkin alfredo: 1 bag of House of Foods Shirataki tofu noodles, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, 2 tsp minced garlic, 2 TB coconut milk, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, + 1-2 tsp parsley
House Foods Shirataki tofu + Asian yam noodles are literally guilt-free. A vegetable-based protein source that's easy to digest helps banish belly bloat. I made a pumpkin alfredo recipe topped with parmesan cheese to make your next dinner unique + Fall-flavored. A serving of fettucine noodles is just 10 calories + 3g of carbs + you can find them in the refrigerated section at Fresh Thyme.
SIP ON SOME TEA:
peppermint + chamomile tea
Both kinds relax GI muscles to help dissipate the gas that causes your stomach to bloat. Aside from improving digestion, chamomile can also soothe and relax, which can help ease any sort of stomach discomfort.