I hit the kitchen HARD today to prep our new cauliflower “pitas” (also can double as tortillas) to serve our zucchini fritters + grilled veg on for lunch! Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo-Friendly, Vegetarian, and DIVINE!
Make the pitas on a Sunday and use them for multiple meals all-week-long! Try them for tacos, morning pancakes topped with an egg + veggies, as bread for an open-faced sandwich, et al.
- ¾ a head of cauliflower riced or 2 cups riced and packed
- 2 flax eggs, 1 TB flaxmeal mixed with 3 TB water = 1 “egg”
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Process the chopped cauliflower until it is a rice-like consistency and place in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and set aside. Mix the flax meal + water to make the egg and let sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- When ready, mix the “egg” with the salt into the cauliflower mixture.
- For the mixture into 6 round pitas and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool slightly and when ready-to-eat, heat them in a skillet 2-3 minutes/side to lightly brown and crisp them up.
makes roughly 6 servings, 2 cakes per serving (?)
- 1 LB grated zucchini, squeezed of it’s water
- 1 flax egg; 1 TB flaxmeal mixed with 3 TB of water – let it sit for 5 minutes.
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum-free
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup coconut or oat flour
- 2 TB cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed + hand-torn
- ½ lemon, juiced + zested
- sea salt + pepper, to taste
Mix the first 6 ingredients together well in a medium mixing bowl. Heat 1 TB of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Spoon 3/8 cup or 6TB of the zucchini mixture together to form one cake- cook 2 at a time- cooking 2-3 minutes per side until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat the remaining TB of oil over medium heat, begin to grill the onions. Once they are lightly browned, add the kale + tomato slices to the pan and pan-grill until warmed, being careful not to move them around too much so the tomatoes don’t break up.
Possible Sauce Toppings
- buy Follow Your Heart horseradish
- tahini, mixed with a bit of lemon, garlic, + water to thin it out