This recipe was found in Health magazine as a great vegetarian breakfast or lunch option.
- 1 Wholly Wholesome brand frozen pastry shell
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Olive Oil, divided
- 2 Shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) package (pre-washed) Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) package Mushrooms, assorted
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan, freshly grated, divided
- 1 Cup Soy Milk, Plain
- 1 Egg, large
- 3 Large Eggs, egg whites only
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees- bake pastry shell 10-12 minutes until browned.
2. Heat 1 1/4 teaspoons oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add shallots, add spinach, and cook 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Using the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Cook mushrooms for about 6 minutes or until browned on both sides. Remove the pan from the heat and season the mushrooms with the remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Sprinkle 1/3 Cup parmesan over the bottom of the pastry. Top with spinach and mushroom mixes.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together soy milk with egg and egg whites. Pour into shell. Top with remaining parmesan cheese and bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is firm and golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutrition Information: (Yields 6 pieces)
12 g fat
4 g protein
13 g carbohydrate
1 g sugar
5 mg cholesterol
1 g fiber