Skin suffers in the Winter…big time. Along with drinking plenty of water + limiting caffeine and other dehydrators, eating a colorful diet filled with produce that lends a helping hand to our skin is key. Bright, supple, hydrated…see the foods + supplements below for a glowing complexion this Winter.
- Foods containing ellagic acid will help protect against harmful free radicals while also removing toxins from the body. Hello gorgeous skin!
- Foods containing ellagic acid include: strawberries, blackberries, grapes, raspberries, pomegranate, guava, pecans, + walnuts.
- Vitamin D supplements, in the form of readily absorbed D3, are important to take during months without access to direct sunlight. Vitamin D is important to the skin because it helps get rid of free radicals that can cause premature aging.
- Vitamin E is the skin’s ultimate defender being an antioxidant that fights against damaging free radicals. You can find it in many fish, seeds, nuts + nut oils, butternut squash, red sweet pepper, turnip + beet greens, broccoli, Swiss chard, asparagus, + spinach.
- Vitamin B3 (aka: Niacin) is needed to build up the protective layer of our skin to keep moisture locked in and irritants out. It is thanks to the ceramides + fatty acids it provides.
- Plant-based sources include: avocado, brown rice, + mushrooms along with various meats + seafood.
VITAMINS A + C (KALE PLEASE)
- Hefty doses of Vitamins C + A will lend to firmer skin thanks to a boost in collagen + skin cell renewal. This can be found in kale.
- Eat kale – everyday – it will make you radiant!
- Winter can incite inflammatory reactions in our skin like blemishes, dry + flaky patches, irritation, + itchiness, but zinc can help renew the skin.
- Zinc containing foods include: seeds, nuts, eggs, rice, + even dark chocolate.
- Healthy fats like avocado + coconut oil help make our skin supple. Extra virgin olive oil, along with being healthy fat, also has a high amount of skin moisturizing Vitamin E.
ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS
- Omega-3 + Omega-6 fatty acids lend to glowing skin + strong, shiny hair.
- Supplementing with Udi’s oil blend or high-quality fish oils is ideal for getting a balanced dose of essential fatty acids daily.