You brush your hair, but do you brush your body? Probably not, and unless you have been to a progressive spa, you most likely have not heard of this amazing routine that can literally brush the crap right out of your body, benefiting your much-cherished lymphatic system.
Let’s chat about your lymphatic system for a minute…the main function of the lymphatic system is to transport lymph; a clear, colorless fluid containing white blood cells that helps rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. This is a super simplistic explanation, but the basic gist is that you can clean yourself out by exciting your lymphatic system with dry brushing…
Dry brushing is a daily detoxifying habit that, if performed correctly for 5-10 minutes before taking your morning shower, you will see the following benefits:
- Exfoliates the skin
- Increases circulation, which helps with elimination
- Reduces cellulite
- Improves digestion
- Lymphatic support; it stimulates the movement of the lymph system, lending to detoxification
- Provides stress relief
What’s a dry brush? Find a firm brush with natural bristles like this one – under $20!
Now, for how to do this!
- You are to always brush towards your heart with dry skin + a dry brush.
- Do this before a shower.
- Do not brush hard, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Use lotion or a detox oil post-shower.
- This should take 5-10 minutes. Keep going slow.
- Start at the bottom of your feet, brushing the right side up to your hip all around the foot, ankle, calf, + thighs in long, slow strokes. I perform roughly 10 + then repeat on the left side.
- Work on brushing toward the center of your body next, around the back as well. On the stomach, I brush in circular motions.
- Repeat the same process with the arms, starting with the palms of the hands and brushing up the arm toward the heart. In the armpits, I also brush in a circular motion.
- Continue with your face if you have purchase one with a face/smaller brush.
I highly recommend taking a room temp/cooler shower + then using a detox oil or high quality lotion afterwards.