You could literally put ANYTHING in this slaw recipe and it would be good! I raided the produce aisles for in-season, winter produce filled with nutrients + color to give my plate a healthy base with a light citrus dressing. Feel free to add any simply prepared grilled or baked lean protein on top like chicken breast, salmon, shrimp, white fish, or a lean steak.
WINTER SLAW RECIPE
Makes 4 servings
For the slaw:
- 1 cup of shredded red beets, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1 cup of shredded golden beets, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup of watermelon radish, cut into matchsticks (or sliced regular radish)
- 1 cup of shredded fennel
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of shredded lacinato kale
- 1 cup of shredded red cabbage
For the citrus dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 4 TB champagne vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Simply prepare all the veggies as indicated + mix them together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing. Coat the veggies with it + let it sit for 15-20 minutes before eating so it soaks in + softens the veggies.