It’s soup weather! I love to warm up with a cup of soup with some light protein + a large raw veggie salad with a seasonal dressing or creative sauce. This spicy chicken tortilla soup is a great cold-weather warm up meal with a great deal of flavor!
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
makes 8 servings
For the Base:
- 1 TB avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz. chicken broth, organic + low-sodium
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, + diced
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 TB low-sodium taco seasoning
- 14 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups corn, thawed
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- Optional: 15 oz. black beans; drained – for added fiber or a vegetarian option for the soup
To Top: pick your toppings or use em’ all!
- Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Scallions, chopped
- Shredded cheese
- Avocado, diced
- Lime slices
- Crispy tortilla strips
USING A SLOW-COOKER: to make this with a slow-cooker, start with steps 1 and 2, then add it with the remaining ingredients into a slow-cooker + cook on low for an hour.
- Add oil to a large soup pan over medium heat. Add in peppers + onion -saute until mildly tender. Add in the garlic, cumin, oregano, + chili powder – stir + saute for another minute.
- Pat the chicken with the taco seasoning. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- QIUCK TIP TO SAVE TIME: buy a rotisserie chicken + spray it with avocado oil + shake in a baggie with the taco seasoning to skip a cooking step. Save it to put on top when ready to serve.
- Place chicken breast pieces in the soup pan with the vegetables- add remaining ingredients + simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with recommended toppings.
Nutrition x 1 cup serving:
Calories: 325 kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 22g | Sodium: 310mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g