When I was asked to represent Sweet Earth Foods on air this week thanks to Windy City Live, I was floored because I love working with brands that I know, love, and eat myself. (To watch the segment, click here!)
To frame the segment I am taking advantage of the current trend worldwide with the #veganuary hashtag on social media and the recent Golden Globes served a creative menu of all plant-based foods to the celebrities in attendance (it was even made mention in some speeches) to position the plant-strong lifestyle in a way that even all you meat eaters can grasp. Sweet Earth makes this job easy for me! I brought forth the reality of the very small steps (but also tasty ones,) we need to take to improve our overall health and well-being.
Most people don’t know this, but for a time I was vegan. It was arduous for me to find convenient and tasty foods that also satisfied my gluten intolerance and nut allergies. Not to mention, foods that were nutrient-dense and not just plant-based junk foods.
Oh hey Sweet Earth! As a former vegan, I still hold onto the plant-strong lifestyle. I have at least 3-5 meat-free meals a week because vegetarian or not, there are benefits for anyone who goes meatless just a few meals per week. If you aren’t familiar with the campaign #meatlessmonday it touts the benefits of going without animal products just one day and the numerous benefits already challenging our population.
LET’S SEE WHY THIS IS RELEVANT TO THE ONGOING HEALTH CRISIS IN AMERICA:
- OBESITY, a preventable condition that lends to so many chronic diseases like: heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, is increasing rapidly in the U.S.
- The prevalence of obesity was 39.8% and affected about 93.3 million of US adults in 2015-2016
- HEART DISEASE is the leading cause of death in the United States:
- As reported by the CDC: One person dies every 37 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease.
- About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths
- TYPE 2 DIABETES is prevalent in the U.S. and is often attributed to a poor diet + lack of exercise.
- The CDC reported that 90-95% of Americans with diabetes have type 2 diabetes.
- 1 million adults aged 18 years or older have pre-diabetes (33.9% of the adult US population)
THE BENEFITS OF A FEW MEAT-FREE MEALS/WEEK
FOR YOUR HEALTH:
- Lowers your risk for heart disease
- Promotes kidney health
- Helps with weight maintenance
- Decreases the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
FOR THE ENVIRONMENT:
- The one fact that has stuck with me over time is that livestock production creates more greenhouse gases than all the cars, trucks, planes, and trains in the ENTIRE world. However, skipping one serving of beef per week for a year saves the equivalent emissions to driving 348 miles in a car.
SWEET EARTH PROVIDES PLANT-BASED FOODS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY:
- High-quality (as natural, organic, + non-GMO as possible throughout)
- Flavorful and flavor-forward
- Nutrient dense
- Globally inspired
- On trend and modern
THE RECIPES I BROUGHT IN TO SHOW:
In order to bring the plant-strong meals into my client’s lives, I have simply taken American classics + traditional favorites and shown them how to place meat-free, tasty, + nutrient-dense replacements into the recipes.
A DAY IN THE LIFE as seen on WCL was:
Good Morning Breakfast Hash: makes 1 serving
- 3 chopped slices of prepared Benevolent Bacon
- 1/4 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large handfuls or hand-torn kale
- 3 small purple potatoes, quartered
- Dash of oil, for cooking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a baking dish, place the potatoes with a drizzle of oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, add in some oil. Toss in the onion slices + saute until lightly browned.
- Add in the chopped Benevolent bacon + cook until heated through- roughly 3 minutes. Toss in the kale + gently heat until wilted; stirring.
- Plate it, eat, + enjoy!
SWEET EARTH INGREDIENT SHOUT-OUT:
Benevolent Bacon is a best-seller as part of Sweet Earth’s hearty and harmless, modern meat portfolio. It’s vegan and non-GMO, made with cumin, garlic & sage and has 75% less fat than pork bacon, with 10G of protein and 0g of cholesterol. YUM!
If you can’t take the time to prep a breakfast since so many of us live on-the-go, that’s ok! Sweet Earth’s Power On The Go (or POGO if you will,) are super tasty!
With 6 flavors that you don’t find everywhere; blackberry, chocolate, figgy, dulce, chai and lemon poppy, these easy grab go bars are the wholesome version of their many counterparts.
- Also, they are NON-GMO with 10G+ Protein & 5G+ Fiber.
- Each POGO also contains prebiotic fiber & probiotics with 1 billion CFUs.
- Keep in your freezer and conveniently thaw & eat on the go or heat & eat to enjoy the perfect mid-day fuel.
Need a Lunch or Dinner that will fill you up and is full of flavor? Sweet Earth and I have your back! I take my favorite three plant-based ingredients and use them as bases for my regularly made recipes!
- Mindful Chik’n has 19G of protein and 6G of fiber that has the mouthwatering taste and texture of traditional chicken. It is the perfect addition to weeknight meal prep, salads and other recipes
- I used this to make a chicken salad sandwich that is AH-MAZING! Simply mix 1 TB of avocado-oil based mayo + 1 tsp of Dijon mustard with 1/2 cup of prepared Mindful Chik’n and place it atop toasted whole grain bread with lettuce, avocado, + tomato slices.
- Sweet Earth’s Awesome Grounds are non-GMO and provide the same plant-based protein (16g) and fiber (4g) as the Awesome Burger, only in a ground version that allows greater flexibility to cook various meals and sides, such as meatballs and tacos.
- Stir fry is a meal you can make colorful with a few cups of a variety of produce, a serving og whole grains like black or brown rice or ramen noodles, with a plant-based protein like these grounds. Top with any sauce you’d like and you have a quick and easy meal!
- I love #tacotuesday and in any variation. I prep the Awesome Grounds with Mindful Chik’n with heated corn tortillas, grilled veggies like bell peppers and scallions, guacamole, salsa, + any raw veggie add-ins I want to make a simple meal in under 15 minutes.
The Awesome Burger is Sweet Earth’s new plant-based burger that satisfies cravings for the meaty, juicy taste of a traditional burger, while providing plant-based nutrition and goodness. It is packed with protein (26 grams) and fiber (6 grams) – recently launched
- This can be done in SO many ways. Simply put, prepare the burger and top it with ANYTHING! My favorite is grilled red onion, tomato, lettuce, American cheese, + a dose of my mayo-ketchup mix on top. Being gluten-free, I use a cabbage leaf as a wrap, but I recommend whole grain buns to clients.
MAKE IT FAMILY-FRIENDLY!
Bring the kids into the fold with the classic kid-friendly + family-friendly American meal makeovers with plant-based comfort foods like:
- Cauliflower Mac gives you the comfort of warm mac + cheese with a serving of vegetables, immune-boosting Vitamin C, + 8g of protein.
- Pizzas filled with fiber, protein, and love!
- Sweet Earth Foods’ pizzas have chewy, crispy and flavorful crusts that matter, made with ingredients like rosemary, chia, corn, carrot, ancient grain and whole wheat with culinary sauces premium cheeses, vibrant whole toppings and nutritious ingredients with benefits pizza lovers want.
- The Protein Lover’s Pizza is made of vegan Planet Pepperoni and Tuscan Savory Grounds, has an ancient grain crust and is a good source of iron, protein and fiber!
- And it is an award winner! The 2018 Veg News Best of Show
Check out my Instagram for more on the segment, Sweet Earth, + living plant-strong.