Sometimes I find myself slowly perusing and finding new or often forgotten produce to whip into a healthy, colorful, new dish! The round, green, Thai eggplant is not only cute, but tasty! Check out my Indian-inspired dish below.
ADD PROTEIN: make it complete with shredded chicken, grilled shrimp, salmon, or lean steak
Thai Eggplant Masala
makes 4 servings
What You Need:
- 12 Thai eggplants
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 TB sunflower seed butter or almond butter
- 1/2 TB honey or agave
- 1 tsp dry Thai chiles or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves, ground
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TB sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 TB red or green curry paste
- to top: cilantro, hand-torn
- Cut off the tops + half the eggplants.
- Mix the dry ingredients (cinnamon, cloves, coriander, salt, turmeric, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes or chiles)
- In a saucepan, place the coconut milk, tomato paste, sunflower seed butter, curry paste, + honey. Simmer + stir constantly until thickened.
- In a skillet, drizzle a bit of oil + cook the garlic + shallots until translucent- roughly 1-2 minutes. Place the eggplant in + cook until lightly browned.
- Pour the sauce over the eggplant + mix- warm together for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with hand-torn cilantro + a protein on top.