NUTRITION ON YOUR PLATE:
RADISH HEALTH: Radish bulbs, often called “globes,” are peppery in flavor and come in many different varieties + colors.
- Vitamin C content- 1/2 cup of radishes offers about 14 % of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C; an antioxidant that helps fight against free radicals in your body and helps prevent cell damage. Vitamin C also aids in the production of collagen, which supports healthy skin and blood vessels.
- Fiber + water content aid in improved digestion.
- Good levels of potassium + folate.
- Radishes also contain phytochemicals such as indoles; an anti-cancer property often found throughout the Brassica family of veggies.
- Radishes also contain an important isothiocyanate antioxidant compound called sulforaphane; a potential cancer fighter.
TIP- USE THE WHOLE VEG: save the radish greens to add to a salad or use in a pesto
MICROGREENS HEALTH: microgreens are young vegetable greens that are approximately 1–3 inches tall. Essentially they are the infant form of our usual greens.
The overall benefit? These babies; literally, have a higher vitamin, mineral and antioxidant levels than the same quantity of “adult” greens. Some studies say up to 40 times higher!
Different kinds of microgreens:
- Brassicaceae family: Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, watercress, radish and arugula
- Asteraceae family: Lettuce, endive, chicory and radicchio
- Apiaceae family: Dill, carrot, fennel and celery
- Amaryllidaceae family: Garlic, onion, leek
- Amaranthaceae family: Amaranth, quinoa swiss chard, beet and spinach
- Cucurbitaceae family: Melon, cucumber and squash
WATERMELON RADISH TUNA TOSTADA BOWL
For the Base:
- 2 cups watermelon radish; spiralized
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced; halved, quartered
- Large handful of micro greens
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 5 jalapeno slices
For the Tuna Salad:
- 5 oz white tuna meat in water
- 1 TB paleo mayo
- Dash of lime juice
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 scallion, chopped
1. Spiralize the radishes + place in a bowl.
2. Chop the jalapeño, avocado, + scallions.
3. Mix the mayo, scallion, salt, pepper, tuna, + lime juice.
4. Place the micro greens, tuna salad, jalapeno, + avocado atop the noodles + serve.
REPURPOSE THE LEFTOVERS:
Let’s show how we can repurpose this tuna salad in a different way! Make actual mini tostadas atop radish slices for snack-time with a slice of avocado, jalapeno, + black sesame seeds.